INGREDIENTS (organic of course!)
- Brown rice
- Baby spinach leaves
- Corn salsa
THE BEST CHARRED CORN SALSA
- 2 large ears of corn
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeds slightly removed and diced
- 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Olive oil to taste
- The only real work is in grilling the corn. (The corn could be steamed, but the grilling gives it a huge flavour punch). Grilling the corn over charcoal brings out the best flavour. (Try leaving the husk on until it is a little charred. Remove the husk and put it back on the grill to give it a roasted colour, turning it as you go. If you are using a grill plate go straight to peeling it and grilling until the colour turns.
- Once grilled, slice corn from the cob.
- Add to the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Taste and add more seasonings as needed.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve immediately. This recipe will keep covered in the fridge for several days, but is more delicious freshly made.
EASY ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 425 g (15 oz) can of chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients (but the peppers and the basil) in a food processor until smooth. Add the peppers and basil until well mixed. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate. (Particularly good the next day).
- Serve by combining ingredients trying to match the photo.