Flourless, sugarless orange cake recipe
This is one of those cakes that makes people think you are some sort of gourmet cooking goddess – I don’t know why really because it’s actually super easy to make…. In addition to all that I also make this cake sugar free
, I use xylitol instead of sugar (which is a great healthy alternative in case you don’t know yet) and so it tastes amazing without making you regret it!
- 2 large oranges
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of Xylitol
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 1 tspn of gluten-free baking powder
- 1 large orange
- ¾ cup of xylitol
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line a round base (22cm) springform cake pan with baking paper
- Place all three oranges in a saucepan of cold water. Make sure the oranges are covered by the water, and then bring to boil. Cook for 15 minutes until soft.
- Drain the hot water out and then refill the saucepan with cold water – Repeat step two again (this makes them less bitter)
- Drain the water and refresh with cold water – so that they aren’t too hot to touch
- Then coarsely chop TWO of the oranges and remove pips (leave the third orange aside for the syrup later)
- Put the chopped oranges into a food processor until smooth
- Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs and xylitol until thick and pale – add the almond meal, orange and backing powder and fold together gently, until combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour (or until a skewer that is poked into the center of the cake comes out clean)
- While you’re waiting you can make the orange syrup. Get the orange we set aside earlier and use a zester to remove the rind. Juice the orange.
- Put the orange juice and zest into a saucepan with the ¾ cup of Xylitol, over low heat – stir until the syrup thickens.
- Spoon the syrup over the cake once its cooled.