This dish looks like dinner, but if you've got time it is amazing for a solid protein breakfast after the gym. The idea for any nutritious meal you cook for yourself is that you focus on colour, flavour and texture. Using whatever variety you have in your fridge you can go for veggies that are both cooked and raw. Then weave in some magic with nuts, seeds and a good dressing (with good oils) and you are good to go!
- Coconut Oil for the pan
- Red Cabbage
- Carrot (chunkily grated)
- Sesame Seeds
- broken dehydrated seeded crackers (Quinoa, Almond, Buckwheat, Amaranth)
- Salt, Pepper, Chilli
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Herb Pesto
- Smoked Salmon
- If you are going to add boiled or poached eggs on top, now would be the time to get these turned on. I do my boiled eggs in an egg cooker - a useful piece of kitchen equipment that makes life easier. Of course the poached eggs take some standing over, so I would do these after the veggies are cooked, but get the water hot now. (You tube poached eggs if you need to know this).
- Strip the kale off the stalks by pulling them down from the top end. Cut the kale and cabbage thinly and place in a bowl, pour over some apple cider vinegar and scrunch in with your hands to 'pre-digest' it.
- Coarsely grate the carrot and crush your garlic, and keep aside. if you are adding smoked salmon at the end, cut this in slices now and also put the to side.
- Heat the coconut oil in the pan, and add the kale and cabbage. This is at medium heat and for only a few minutes. We want to keep it very short cooked, easy to digest, and good for your thyroid (if goitrogens are a problem for you, cooking these veggies make them work nicely). Most of all we want to keep the colour in the food - this is for maximum nutrient retention.
- Take off the heat, stir in the carrot, some sesame seeds, the crushed seed crackers, salt pepper, chilli, garlic, a dash of olive oil, a spoonful (per person) of sauerkraut, and plate up nicely in the centre of the plate. Optional here is a big spoonful of home-made pesto.
- If you are adding the optionals here, add the smoked salmon strips, either a whole avocado half on the side or cut some avocado slices. Add the eggs and cut in half to allow the soft inside to run, and serve quickly. Enjoy!